University Level Medicine at a Practical Setting by Board Certified Specialists
Both Doctors at our center are board certified specialists. This means both veterinarians went through a year internship and a 3 year residency in the specialty where they are certified in before being allowed to take (and pass!) the board exam.
Dr van Wessum is double boarded, he is a Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation (Equine) and a Dutch Veterinary Medical Association (KNMvD) Certified Practicioner in Equine Medicine. Dr Johnston is a Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons (Equine). You will nearly never find a board certified specialist outside of the University, our center has 2!
Dr van Wessum as well as Dr Johnston are contributors to major veterinary textbooks and publications and very well rooted within the university community at MSU, where they both have worked in the past. Their philosophy of performing equine sports medicine is based on scientific knowledge and education and they bring the newest and most proven techniques and ideas to their work and hobby.
At the EASMC we offer you a high level of service with great attention for you and your horse, which will give you these advantages:
- we have no waiting times, our appointments are made for one case at a time, so we can focus all our attention to you and your horse. There will be no other clients around during your appointment to respect your privacy.
- our team will communicate with you during the exam process, keep you updated on what is going on, and explain each step in detail.
- our communications are clear and not ‘fussed’ with professional medical language, we are used to explain what is going on with your horse in plain laypeople or horseman language, not just medical terms.
- our treatment options are practical and useable, we will give you many options for treatment, you can make the choice that will fit your wallet.
- we will have the owner/trainer/rider involved in the process of treatment and rehabilitation, much cheaper and far more effective!
- we practice “Evidence Based Medicine”, which means we will only use techniques and therapies than have been proven to be effective. This will save you money and time when you will not have to go trough a “trial and error” period, each diagnostic and therapeutic procedure has been shown in research to be effective.
We are a down to earth practical team with practical solutions!
- University Level Medicine
- Lameness Exams
- Back Pain Evaluation
- Performance Check-Ups
- Digital Gait Analysis
- Pre-Purchase Exams
- Second Opinion
- Treatment Options
- Regenerative Medicine
- Pain Evaluation and Treatment
- Podiatry and Special Shoeing
- Navicular Evaluation
- MSU-Imaging Services
- Anatomical Saddle Fit Evaluations
- Riding lessons
- Clinics and Lectures
- Motion Analysis